Know Your Rights

Contents Insurance - Who is Responsible?

The occupant of a Strata Title Unit, either an owner or tenant, are responsible for their contents insurance for personal belongs, furniture and all removable items. Owners who rent out their unit are to make sure they insure fixtures and fittings such as carpet, blinds and curtains and light fittings that are not recessed into the ceiling.

The Strata Building insurance does not cover personal contents, only those contents that are common such as chairs and tables in a common sitting area.

Whoever your preferred insurer is, be sure to mention that the property is a Strata unit to make sure you have the adequate cover.